From Bell Water Gate

A view from bell Water Gate across the Thames. The James Newman is at the North terminal disembarking. The water gate was named after the 'Bell Tavern' which stood at the corner and was an inn of some antiquity.
Photograph. John King

A closer view of the James Newman, behind can be seen buses waiting at the North Woolwich terminal. The small domed building is the northern entrance to the foot tunnel opened in 1912. The once animated cranes of the Royal Docks have since gone, the docks are now downstream at Tilbury. Goods are then brought into London by road, while the river is almost empty.
Photograph. John King.

to home page