Woolwich Free Ferry was opened on 23 March 1889 by the 'London County Council'
(L.C.C.). However all the planning and construction for the ferry was carried
out by 'The Metropolitan Board of Works', but they were replaced by the
LCC two days before the ferry service was opened.
The 'Greater London Council'. (GLC) took control of the ferries after the abolition of the LCC on 31 March 1965. After the abolition of the GLC in 1986 the responsibility was taken over by Greenwich Council.
Now Greenwich Council run the ferry on behalf of Transport for London (TfL)
Return to Main Index Page
|When the docks were in operation,
ships were passing through Woolwich all the time. Indeed it was once said
that more wealth passes through Woolwich than anywhere else in the Kingdom.
This was because no other town on the lower reaches of a major river has
parishes on both banks. Now it is not often a large ship passes through.
Follow the links below to see some of the modern sights of the Thames at Woolwich. At one time Woolwich and North Woolwich were in the parish of Woolwich, Kent. Since 21 March 1889 with the inauguration of the London County Council, it became the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich, even though people still wrote Woolwich, Kent on their letters. From 1 April 1965 due to reorganisation of the London Boroughs, Woolwich became part of the London Borough of Greenwich. North Woolwich became part of The London Borough of Newham, Thus ending an historic link.
Not all of the sights on the river are shipping, see the links below. High spring tides are nothing unusual, but a fire is. In the past however fires and explosions were often seen along the river front at Woolwich and Silvertown. Most of them at the Royal Arsenal.
This site produced and maintained
by John King
Any comments or suggestions please